Wednesday 26 January 2011

Juan DeVevo Interview

Hello Juan from Casting Crowns.  How are you doing? Where are you currently?


Melodee and I are doing great. We are currently on a 2 month off time from the road where we decided, "Hey. let's redo most of the house. It'll be great since we don't like a clean house anyway". 


How’s 2011 going thus far?


January is almost over, so that naturally means I've already given up hope on my resolutions to not overeat and not yell at the dogs. 


If people don’t know Casting Crowns, how would you describe yourself?


Just a worship band who writes songs about people in whose live we get to take part and things God is still teaching us. 


How did the band first come together?


I was leading worship at FBC Daytona when Mark came on to be the youth pastor there, and shortly after me and Melodee got married, then Hector and Chris joined. 2 years later we moved to Atlanta where we picked up Megan, and it's been a mess ever since.


Where did the name of the band come from?


There's a verse in Revelation 4:11 where the elders are gathered around the throne of Jesus, laying their crowns at his feet. Since we are a worship band, we thought that was the ultimate picture of what life will be like in heaven.


When did you give your life to God and what made your life turn in God’s direction?


I'm pretty lucky in the fact that my folks were both believers and good ones at that. I was saved when I was 6.  No drugs, no alcohol, just a sinner. I didn't know everything, but I knew what I needed. I am a sinner, Jesus died to pay for it, I trust Him to get me to heaven.


You've been around for well over a decade and have released over 10 albums. Which would you say was the most successful album? And how would you define success?


They all have moments from them. Casting Crowns was the first, and I always hear the old way we did those songs in the back of my head. Lifesong has one of the most impactful songs we've recorded in Praise You in the Storm and the tour saw more poeple come to Christ than I've ever seen, Altar and the Door was the most fun I've had on a tour and very important songs like Slow Fade and East to West. Until the Whole World Hears has been a great worship CD for me and is kind of a statement to the effect of "You know how we told you to reach out to other people and not judge, and to watch your step as you walk through life? Well here's why...Jesus"
 
What’s your favourite track over the numerous albums? Which do you most enjoy playing live?


I never get tired of While You were Sleeping, it is just so sweet and its that classic (if there is such a thing yet) Casting Crowns blend of sweet music and convicting lyrics. Live is a toss up between What this World Needs and Holy One, and I don't think I need to explain myself there 


Would you say you prefer worship leading, or performing as a band?


I think our aim is worship every time we get on stage. We want people to connect with Jesus and if that doesn't happen, then whatever they experienced will leave the moment they hit the exit.


What message do you want to give through your music?


The Way the Truth and the Life is Jesus Christ. We are broken and church will not save you. Jesus will.


Back to your roots, how did you first come to music?


My dad showed me my first few chords on guitar, and it became my therapy because I have a pretty bad temper, and the music soothed my savage beast.


Where do you find influences?


Musically, I've gone through every phase and listened to everything at one time or another. Spiritually, it was definitely my Dad.


How does the band write music, who does what, how does the process work?


Mark does a lot of the writing. Lately we've actually had some time to get our ideas together and work on them. in the past, we just gave our ideas to Mark, he went away for a couple of days, and we'd pray like monks. But most of the inspiration comes from us being in the church and living with people who are attacked, or are going through tough times, or loss, and God speaks to us through that.


Who would you love to perform with, past or present?


If I pick someone better than me, I would just want to watch them, however I always daydream about jamming with Third Day at the Dove Awards at some point.


What artists have you most loved sharing a stage with?


Nicole Nordeman was great to listen to her live, Leeland was great at leading worship, Steven Curtis Chapman is a legend. We have gotten to follow David Crowder Band for a few summers, and its amazing and disappointing, because when they're done, we still have to play.


What are you currently listening to on your mp3 player?


I told you I listen to everything, so...Beckah Shae (Pop) Night Owls (Hip-Hop) and Josh Garrels (Singer/Songwriter).


Who do you think is going to sum up the sound of 2010?

I have no idea. Mainstream music seems to be a lot of processed and dance music which I think is causing a groundswell in the acoustic/folk genre. CCM is being stretched again since artists are able to get their music out with how popular Digital music and social media have gotten.


God's Earth is a huge place, as you've toured internationally, taking you to all corners of the globe, where have you most enjoyed visiting, what cultures have you embraced?


I think I should have been born British, so I loved England. Hawaii was the prettiest place I've been. North Korea was definitely most memorable and we were treated so well, and I love the people of Africa.


Best live performance you’ve played?


Its always the next to the last date on tour. The last night you're thinking about going home, so your mind's not always into playing. Anytime before that is trying to iron out mistakes. I remember once I made it through with no goofs, it was the last night, in Nashville on the Altar and the Door Tour.


What do you miss the most when you’re on the road touring?


I hate missing my Middle School guys small group and Student Praise band.  It feels like I'm an outsider if I miss too much.


How has the Christian music scene changed over the decade or so that you've been part of it?


I think artistically, we're starting to trust God more, and branch out and most everything now is just good music.  We're not trying to be the Christian version of any band, and we're just making great music.


How does it feel to be in a position to inspire so many people, including young people to turn their lives to Christ? Thank you for turning my life towards him!


Humbling, keeps us accountable, and keeps us at our church, because we never want to lose touch with that.


If Casting Crowns was a Jelly Bean, what colour and flavour would you be and why?


Buttered Popcorn flavoured: at first glance you think it's going to be sweet, then you catch a bit of a salty flavour. Also a fine line defines the smell of buttered popcorn from sweaty feet.


Some quick fire questions:


Tea or coffee?


Iced Sweet Tea.


Summer or winter?


Depends on where. Summer in Michigan, Winter in Orlando.


Superman or Batman?


Batman. Superman was kinda dense, always got trapped by Luthor.


Mac or PC?


I don't like restarting my computer every 5 minutes, so Mac.


Bread or Wine?


In communion? The bread is great, but then your mouth is dry. Any wonder Jesus told us to do both?


Favourite passage from the Bible?


Colossians 2:13-14. Its the Gospel in a poetic nutshell.


What’s coming up in 2011 and next on the agenda for Casting Crowns?


Finishing a CD, playing in Brazil, doing a Fall tour, balance time on the road and with family and with students, Take my kids to every Kids Museum in the US (they come with us), Love more, Give more, Go more.


And finally, how would you describe the love of God for all those people who are unsure of their direction and of course those already on their journey with Christ?


If you are on your journey with Jesus, then your course is set. Your purpose is already realized. It is your journey with Christ. Every other detail is a circumstance for you to realize the character of God and an anvil to shape you into His Son.


Thanks Juan, have a blessed day!



No comments:

Post a Comment